I was looking for something new for a side dish. Last night I'd made my "fried chicken" recipe and wanted something different to serve with it. I found this recipe in Southern Living Best of 2010.
8 oz carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces (about 2 c.)
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
3 T butter
1 medium onion
2 c. uncooked orzo pasta
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 T chopped fresh chives
1 t chopped fresh thyme
1. Process carrots in a food processor 15 seconds or until finely chopped.
2. Combine 2 1/2 c. water and broth, heat until just before boiling.
3. Meanwhile melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots and chopped onion, cook stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until tender. Add orzo and garlic, and cook 1 minute.
4. Slowly stir hot broth mixture, salt and pepper into orzo mixture. Cook stirring often, 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
5. Stir in Parmesan cheese, chives and thyme until blended. Serve orzo immediately. Garnish with carrot curls.
Here's my final result. And I have a confession...rather than chop the onion, I put it in the food processor after the carrot. I'd recommend just chopping it because I think the processor made it too runny.